Big Cottonwood Canyon is named after the mammoth sized
cottonwood trees that grew near the creek bottoms before
heavy logging took place. In fact, by
1910 most of the forest had disappeared. The newly organized
Forest Service then stepped in and planted over 250,000
seedlings throughout the canyon, adding to the beauty and rich
biodiversity found in the canyon today.